Congratulations Thomas! Of all those who took the quiz, you got the highest number of correct answers! Your prize is the recently published 2nd edition of the Concise European Trade Mark and Design Law commentary – the Little Blue IP Book. We hope it will make your everyday life easier – and increase the number of visits from colleagues at your office who want to borrow the book!
For all those who would like to know the correct answers, here they come:
- An EUIPO notification of a negative first instance decision is received by e-comm on 25 November. When does the appeal period expire?
ANSWER: c. 31 January (at the end of the month during which notification occurred, which, as it was e-comm, was on 30 November)
- An EUIPO notification of a negative appeal decision is received by e-comm on 25 November. When does the action have to be submitted to the General Court?
ANSWER: b. 9 February (2 month period starts on 30 November and, as per the Rules of Procedure, ends on 30 – not 31 – January, plus 10 days on account of distance)
- Most EUTM applications in 2016 (up until November) have been filed by (in that order):
ANSWER: Applicants from Germany, the US, the UK (DE: 17.162 / US: 13.000 / UK: 10.037)
- The total number of EUTM applications reached 1,000,000 in:
ANSWER: b. September, 2011 (CTM 010284412 CIGNON filed on 22/09/2011)
- The number of EUIPO Boards of Appeal is:
ANSWER: a. six (counting the Grand Board of Appeal)
- The number of judges specialized in EU trademark law at the General Court of the European Union is:
ANSWER: c. 0
- The number of Members of the Boards of Appeal including President and Chairmen is:
ANSWER: c. 18
- The EUIPO has received the following (approximate) number of declarations under Article 28(8) EUTMR:
ANSWER: a. 23,000 (the exact number is higher, though not nearly as high as the 51,000 in option b.)
- As per November 2016, the refusal rate for Article 28(8) declarations was:
ANSWER: b. 60%.
- The EUTM no. 1 is: AIPPI (filed by Elzaburu in January 1996, in situ in Alicante)
- How many EUTM applications filed on 1 April 1996 are still pending?
ANSWER: b. 2
- The title of which of the following popular Christmas movies is not registered as an EUTM?
ANSWER: c. Love Actually
- What year was the first edition of the Nice Classification published?
ANSWER: b. 1963
- How many live UK trade marks contain the string FATHER CHRISTMAS?
ANSWER: a. 5
- How many owners of UK trade marks have the term “Santa” in their name?
ANSWER: b. 52
- How many times does the word ‘Christmas’ appear in the Nice alphabetical list for class 28?
ANSWER: a. 7
- How many EUTM applications have the filing date 25th Dec 2015?
ANSWER: c. 31
Interestingly the breakdown of the answers shows a distinct lack of knowledge of frivolous TM facts relating to Christmas, and a better understanding of more serious issues concerning our profession! Whilst it is part of our role to help you all build on your TM knowledge around the world, we want to see a much better level of answering in respect of the Christmas based questions!
To make sure you do not miss out on regular updates from the Kluwer Trademark Blog, please subscribe here.
Kluwer IP Law
The 2022 Future Ready Lawyer survey showed that 79% of lawyers think that the importance of legal technology will increase for next year. With Kluwer IP Law you can navigate the increasingly global practice of IP law with specialized, local and cross-border information and tools from every preferred location. Are you, as an IP professional, ready for the future?
Learn how Kluwer IP Law can support you.